Wednesday, 1 October 2014

My Current Choices

I would just like to point out that if you are going to take offence to what I'm about to say, you may as well stop reading now. I'm not going to proof read this and I'm not going to hold myself responsible for "upsetting" anybody.

I'm going to make this short and sweet and hope it gets to the people it's aimed at. I honestly don't feel like I should have to write this but, some people seem to be too arrogant and actually very rude about some of the choices I have made in MY life, lately. People, including, family, friends, random acquaintances, and a couple of my small twitter following.

I hate to point it out but, what I do in life isn't really anyone's business but my own. For those of you who don't know, I have "dropped out" of college. A lot of people aren't happy about this and I don't know why. I had my valid reasons for leaving and I didn't leave blind. I knew what I was doing and I am happy with my choice.

My former plans for the next few years were to study software design for 4 years, get a degree in games development then move on to training to be a counsellor. The course I was doing was basically a method of killing time until I could do what I really wanted, and my parents wanted me to go to college when I left school. I was never going to work as a software or games developer anyway, so what's the big deal? Originally, I thought I had to wait until I was 23 to study counselling psychology but, turns out there is a course I can do next year without being 23. So I suppose you could say I'm taking a gap year.I'm not planning on sitting on my arse for the year. I have plans for this year and I have a source of income.

What I'm trying to say is, I've had to listen to a lot of shit from everyone for the past 2 weeks. Even more so since I've actually left. I apologise if my life choices offend you but just remember that I've stuck by a lot of you people through thick and thin, whether I know you personally or through Twitter. I don't need anyone to tell me that I've made the wrong choice, or you're disappointed or that I should go back to school or I'm a failure and I've given up. College is an expensive place for someone like me, and to be honest, I didn't feel like paying lots of money for something I didn't like. The thoughts of certain classes made me feel physically sick. Who would pay for that?

I appreciate that some of you only say what you say because, you care but it upsets me that people are being so harsh and can not just support the choices I have made. A lot of people don't go to college at all and live extremely happy lives. Going to college or university doesn't make you a better person than anyone else. For those of you who think you have the right to get involved in my business, I'm going back to college next year since it's so "important". And for those of you who don't want a college "drop out" as a friend, then I will happily open the door for you.

I think I've done enough ranting. If anyone is mad..fine. To the few of my friends, both online and in real life, and my parents, I would like to thank you for your constant support, love and help through this. In fairness, I could have done a lot worse.

~Zoe

No comments:

Post a Comment